Hundreds gathered in the home’s chapel this past Sunday, April 29th, to help celebrate the 140th anniversary of the Little Sisters arrival in Pittsburgh. Retired Auxiliary Bishop William J. Winter was the presiding celebrant and homilist at mass. He reminded the standing room only crowd that the Sisters presence and work speak to the word of God. After mass the Little Sisters and Residents welcomed guests to a reception in the home’s auditorium and offered tours throughout the day.
It was on April 25, 1872 that seven Little Sisters arrived in Pittsburgh from France to establish a home to care for the elderly poor. The first property was established in Allegheny City, a neighborhood later annexed by the city of Pittsburgh. For years the Sisters operated two homes in Pittsburgh—on Penn & Benton Avenues. During this time more than 12,000 aged poor of this region have been in the Sisters care.
While this day honored the Sisters’ historic contribution to the city of Pittsburgh, in their humble fashion they returned the honor back to the people of this region who have graciously helped the Sisters continue their mission through essential financial support. Without such generosity the home would be hard pressed to continue caring for the elderly poor. Everyone at the home is looking forward to the next 140 years of service!